I saw Ryan Block review this device with Veronica Belmont on TekZilla. They use it as their home phone. There is no e911 so you need a cell phone for emergencies. It looks like I'm going to cough up the money for this one. They said it runs $45 one time no yearly subscriptions. The OBIHAI network is not part of your call connection so there is one less point of failure and this will likely work if OBIHAI goes out of business which if we all buy one likely won't happen.
I finally purchased this box and plugged it in my router and the RJ11 into my phone. I followed the setup and it simply works. A flawless clear connection. It hasn't dropped. I have a Android app installed as well that gives you ObiHai numbers to call directly between other OBIHai devices. This app lets your cell phone use the WiFi to make calls so if you are in a bad location without cell but you are on WiFi you have a working phone anywhere.
This can be used on a PC as well. (No Cost What So Ever)
Use Google Voice™ on your regular phone and make calls to the USA & Canada for FREE !! *Make calls to other countries with Google Voice's incredibly low international rates using an OBi100 or OBi110 and your broadband connection to the Internet.
Absolutely Convenient use of Google Voice on a phone connected to the OBi device — No PC required.
Amazingly Simple is the best way to describe how to get going with Google Voice on your OBi. Just add your Gmail credential to the OBi and start making calls!
What You Need:
1. The OBi100 or OBi110 device – Get it here.
2. Gmail username & password – If you do not have this already, get it here.
3. A Telephone – Make A Google Voice call using your everyday phone – no need to be at your computer.
1. Sign-in to your Gmail account, locate the Gmail “Call Phone” feature and make a call from your PC to any phone number. If you have already done this before, you may skip this.
2. Connect the OBi to a broadband connection via your Internet router.
3. Register with the OBiTALK portal, then add your OBi device and use the configuration wizard to set-up the OBi with your Gmail username + password.
4. This step requires you have previously set-up a Google Voice phone number at www.google.com/voice
- Sign-in to Google Voice.
- Select the "Settings" link in the upper right corner of the window and then choose "Voice Settings."
- On the "Phones" tab, check the box next to the "Forwards to: Google Chat."
- The selection will be saved automatically and you may sign-out of Google Voice.
5. Now, start making and receiving calls on your OBi with Google Voice!