Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I feel sick - A quick guide to Anti Virus on a budget

This is the only solution in my opinion.



FreeAV




There is the right way and the wrong way to do things. Norton and McAfee make things worse in my opinion by loading down your PC with bloatware. Another problem is because they have grown so big they can be a target of the attack.


FreeAV is light and simple. Besides I have had it scan and find viruses that both McAfee and Norton never saw. Both of these were free from work so I used them until they became more trouble than good. It wasn't a matter of staying up to date with the virus definitions. I get alerts via email when new viruses are discovered. I usually am days ahead of my IT and security people.


I don't want this to be a guide to security. I want to point out some options.


A new comer with a innovative approach may be your best bet. If your interested in any of this you should read about how they deal with these threats.


eEye Digital Security - Blink personal edition

Here is a link to the free software - its a bit hard to find. http://www.eeye.com/html/consumer/products/blink/download/index.html?id=feature2

I haven't tested this but since the approach is different than the standard VIRUS definition method I wouldn't know where to start.


Trend Micro - my personal favorite, many viruses start in Asia, they seem to see them first.

CA - computer associates - great site, bad software suite for the home user. I'm not sure why but I have had to clean up a few machines that were trashed beyond recognition with the CA security suite loaded. If I reload it they get trashed again. I end up right back to FreeAV.


Panda ActiveScan
Kaspersky lab - I've heard good things about them
bitdefender
RAV
SYGATE



AuditMyPc
GRC.com Shields UP!! - This will test your firewall


Check out Vincent's site for expert help and options.
VIRUS SCANNERS ON-LINE
Free Antivirus Removal Tools

No comments: