Tuesday, October 16, 2007

VLC - I know you know but what if you don't know what your missing


http://www.videolan.org/

VideoLAN Client

VLC media player



VLC media player 0.8.6c

  • It is a free cross-platform media player
  • It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need for additional codecs
  • It can also be used as a streaming server, with extended features (video on demand, on the fly transcoding, ...)
This is a great player that could use a bit of consumer polish. If the force is with you, you can stream media from one room of your house to another or across the internet. Trust me this works, I have done both. I say trust me because in some cases this is easier said than done.

This will play a native DVD (without encryption) but if you happen to have a DVD de-crypted or should a say a encryption free DVD on your hard drive, I find it easiest to select the video files and create a playlist for smoothest playback. Of course you don't get any menus but how often do you need them?

No comments: